In 1900 it was a town of 10,000 inhabitants; in 2006 its
population was around 200,000.
Although there is little level land around the city, some wheat and vegetables
are grown and there is much fruit also; some fishing is carried on. The
heavily-silted ancient port is now used only by small coastal vessels. There is
also a refinery here.