Distance from Beirut: 112km
From Beirut, take Khalde Highway South passing through Khalde, Damour, Naame, Saadiat, along the beautiful coast of the Mediterranean sea,
Sarafand, Adloun, Tyre, head east towards Jwayya, Kfar Donin before reaching
Not many people know about the Crusader castle in the southern
village of Tibnine, but it's well worth the long trip to get there. The
castle's commanding position on a hilltop in the center of the town gives it
its name "Poron", an old French word meaning "high place".
From here there are views in every direction, with an especially beautiful
panorama taking in the coast and mountains of South Lebanon, Crusader Prince
Hugh de Saint Omer, Governor of Tiberias, built the castle in 1105 to defend
the area while he got ready for the siege of Tyre. In 1187 the castle fell to
Salaheddin after the battle of Hittin, but the Franks won it back in 1229.
Finally it was conquered by the Mamluke Sultan al Zahir Baybars in 1266 and
thereafter remained in Arab hands.
In the centuries that followed, the Mamlukes and later the Ottomans, used the
citadel for their own purposes and its structure was changed many times
depending on who was in control. The Governor of Acre, Zaher al-Omar, for
example, fortified and restored the castle, but his successor, Ahmad
al-Jazzar, did his best to destroy it.
Although the Tibnine castle has been altered a good deal, it retains the
feeling of a real fortress, with its massive walls and panoramic views. The
building occupies 2,000 m2 and still preserves its main features:
a fortification wall with square or semi-circular towers,
the main entrance,
the arches of a tower, and
the remains of a bigger tower to the east.
The big tower consists of three rooms with standing pillars and
acid ceilings, while the remains of other towers are scattered around the site.
Information From the Ministry of